KCW Days 5, 6, & 7
the pattern: self-drafted from a basic pants pattern
the fabric: linen from http://www.fabric-store.com and stripes from thrifted linen pants
the sewing: I took my basic pant pattern and added a flat front, slant pockets, and the tuxedo stripe. I took the extra time sewing these to make french seams; so there are no raw edges. I also got all finicky with the hem and sewed it with a blind stitch.
the garment: These were meant to be a simple pair of linen pants in the darker linen. When I unfolded all my pulled fabric, I realized there was not enough for pants. I went back to my stash and found this lighter linen. That is when the tuxedo stripe entered my mind and I am so very glad it did. These couldn’t be more perfect.
the pattern: modified Flashback Tee with gathered skirt and zipper closure
the fabric: Mama’s Feedsacks 1930’s Era Designs by Robert Kaufman, piping in Art Gallery’s Indian Summer by Sarah Watson
the sewing: I was slow to get moving on this dress. I procrastinated because the piping and zippers both require a bit of finicky sewing. Once I got started the dress came along quickly. I sewed the bodice on day 6. Day 7 I attached the piping and skirt. Last night I settled in for a movie with my husband and hand finished the bodice lining. It still needs hemmed, but I couldn’t fit my model in her sleep. Her favorite part….. it twirls!
KCW made for some very productive sewing, but I will continue with kid’s clothes this week to finish up two more items from my initial list; a tie and dress shirt to pair with the pants up top.